Hop on, hop off
Minimum days: 40
Fun, flexible, hassle-free travel
Pass valid for 12 months
English speaking local tour leaders
- Only Stray visits a tiny, remote Lao village on the banks of the Mekong River. Experience traditional village life. Hang out with locals in their backyard, swim or play football with the kids. A very special part of the visit to this village is your opportunity to participate in a Baci (welcoming) ceremony.
- Zip through the 7km long Kong Lor Cave on an underground river! Considered a highlight of Laos, Kong Lor is not easy to get to on your own.
- Xe Champhone wetlands is that remote that sometimes our Stray buses can’t even access it and we have to jump on-board an off road truck just to get there. It’s one of the best places to see wildlife in their natural environment. Visit the Monkey Forest and feed the Rhesus Macaque monkeys and see Asiatic Softshell Turtles in Turtle Lake.
- Don Det is an iconic Stray stop at the southernmost part of Laos. These landlocked islands (otherwise known as 4000 Islands) provides the perfect spot to kick back during the day and then party the night away.
- Immerse yourself in real Cambodian village life when we stay in a rural village 20mins from Battambang.
- Discover the secluded fishing village of Bai Xep on a beautiful long stretch of white sandy beach. Relax, swim and wander deserted beaches, discover hidden waterfalls and learn to paddle a traditional round boat.
- Swim in pristine rivers and explore impressive caves, including the recently discovered Thien Dong Cave, one of the largest caves in the world, in Phong Nha. Be amazed by the glittering limestone walls, stalagmites and stalactites and a gleaming limestone waterfall.
All transport: You'll travel in comfortable and air conditioned private charter buses, on boats, trains, and even tuk-tuks!
Accommodation: 39 nights’ accommodation in a variety of comfortable hotels, hostels, guesthouses, homestays and on an overnight sleeper train!
Local Tour Leader: Knowledgeable local guide to provide commentary, support and local insider tips and advice.
Ultimate travel flexibility: Your flexi tour is valid for up to 12 months from first day of travel and you can hop-on and off as much as you like.
Meals: Some meals as included in the itinerary.
Top-Rated, Included Activities:
- Half-day bicycle or boat tour of Ayutthaya
- Ayutthaya temples entrance fees
- Flight of the Gibbon zipline experience, Chiang Mai
- White Temple entrance fee, Chiang Rai
- Mekong River 2 Day Slow Boat Cruise
- Mekong River Homestay Experience - includes meals, activities and donation
- Pak Ou Caves entrance fee, near Luang Prabang
- Half day Rice Experience, Luang Prabang
- Half day Kuang Si Waterfall Tour and visit to Free the Bears rescue centre, Luang Prabang
- Tham Jang Cave entrance fee, near Vang Vieng
- Kong Lor guided boat trip
- Kong Lor National Park fee
- Wat Prabat Phonsone entrance fee
- Old Wat Taleow
- Hotay Pitok Library, Xe Champhone
- Turtle Lake entry donation, Xe Champhone
- Monkey Forest, Xe Champhone
- Tad Ngeuang Waterfall, near Pakse
- Wat Phou Temple entrance fee, near Pakse
- Full day Angkor Temple Tour, Siem Reap
- Phare Circus performance and dinner, Siem Reap
- Cambodian Village Experience - includes accommodation, local activities, meals and contribution to the village fund/project.
- Sunset river cruise, Kampot
- S21 Prison entrance fee
- Phnom Penh Killing Fields
- Datanla Waterfall entrance fees, Da Lat
- Full day motorcycle city tour, Da Lat
- My Lai Memorial entrance fees, near Hoi An
- River boat cruise, Hoi An
- Vinh Moc Tunnels entrance fees, near Dong Hoi
- Thien Duong (Paradise) Cave entrance fees, Phong Nha
- Motorbike tour of Hue
- Boat trip to the Trang An Grottoes
- Guided city walking tour of Hanoi
We stay in a mix of family operated guesthouses, hostels, hotels and village homestays. Accommodation is included for all nights of the itinerary. If you choose to hop off, you'll need to arrange, and pay for, your own accommodation. Accommodation is twin-share (unless you upgrade to a single room). We do not match travellers who are not travelling together, so please only book the twin-share option if you are travelling with a companion.
We've chosen to include some top rated activities with this tour because we are all about ensuring you have the best possible experience in Southeast Asia! Check the 'What's Included' section on the highlights page for the full list. Your Tour Leader will also be able to recommend additional activities at each destination and you can book these through your Tour Leader (at your own expense) and pay direct to the operator.
HOW DO YOU HOP ON AND OFF THE BUS?
‘Hop off’ the bus anywhere along the route, even places in between the designated stops. Either plan to hop off in advance or do it spur of the moment – it’s up to you!
To hop back on, simply book your next travel date and pickup location through Stray Mate, your online Trip Manager (you'll receive your log in once you've booked).
The buses run twice a week so the minimum amount of time you can hop off for is 3 days, but your Flexi Tour is valid for up to 12 months from your first day of travel, meaning you can hop on and off as often as you like, for as long as you like, up to a year!
SHORT ON TIME?
You are not required to hop off the bus at all! Feel free to use your pass like a tour and complete the itinerary in its ‘minimum days’. Either way you'll have a great time!